The Avenue Centre provides a unique service in Southampton recognised by
Southampton City Council and other professional agencies.
We are a team of committed professional workers who quietly and comprehensively support parents
and children who might otherwise find themselves isolated and in crisis. The support focuses on
enabling parents to be responsible for and to help themselves in the long term, and so prevent
dependency and perhaps further need for services. This includes:
· Advice and information about child development and parenting
· Healthy eating
· Practical skills such as cooking and budgeting
· Signposting to other accessible, local services
· Support to maintain emotional wellbeing and to increase understanding about mental health
· Help to write a CV and gain employment
· Advice and links (including presentations) from other services
· Opportunities for the parents to help and be useful towards others, to build their self-esteem
and develop strengths
· Journal-keeping and goal-setting so as to enable parents to have hope and aspiration and pass
this to their children
All of the above is carried out in a creative, assertive and kind way, mindful of safeguarding
obligations as well as respecting the individual service-user's right to make unwise decisions and/or
to be responding according to their culture or life-experience.
The support has boundaries so as to be able to challenge and offer advice where required.
The crèche offers a wide range of resources to stimulate children’s individual development. Makaton
is used. Professional qualified staff.
The Avenue Centre is on the Ofsted Voluntary Register recorded as Compliant.
Quotes from families:
· I believe I would not be here today
· I have been able to bond with my child
· I have more confidence
· I am not alone
· I am listened to and not judged
· I am a better parent
· I really struggled before I came her
· I have learnt so much
· Your support has been amazing
To make a difference in a child’s life you need to work with
their main care giver for better outcomes.